Tuesday 17 May 2011

How Can I Improve my Reading Skills

Sometime, reading English sentences is boring.  Because there are some words which I can't understand, or I just can't find what main idea is.  So I decided to improve my reading skill. Especially Skimming and Scanning and Predicting.
In task 2 I learned ...
Skimming means to find main idea.
Scanning means to find information.
Predicting means to predict vocabulary.

In task 4 (Reading strategies) there are practice of skimming. When we have specific questions about the text, we should read questions first before read the text. Then I can concentrate what should I skim.
I recommend task 4 and 5 because it seems like IELTS reading test.

2 comments:

  1. This is very clearly written Miri. Do you think that you use these strategies in your everyday reading? You can try "predicting" with an article from the New Scientist (or anything you like really). First, look at the title of the article, and try to guess what it will be about. If you like, write 2 or 3 questions which you hope to find the answer to within the article. Then, when you read the article, you'll have a focus - to find out if your prediction was right or not, and to find the answers to your questions. You can even then use your answers to write a summary. Do you want to try that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you recommended, I tried task4. However,unfortunately I couldn't finish skimming even in a minute. I need to practice skimming!

    ReplyDelete